Updated January 8, 2014.
Prepared by Grace Feldman
This research guide provides an overview of Arctic Law materials and resources.
The Law of the Sea and the Polar Regions (2013) Table of Contents
Polar Law Textbook (2010)
Polar Law Textbook II (2013)
Arctic Research of the United States
- Print: Suzzallo and Allen Libraries Stacks
- Online via National Science Foundation (NSF), 2001-2007
- Online via HathiTrust, 1987-2007
United States Arctic Research Commission Annual Report on Goals and Objectives for Arctic Research
- Online via United States Arctic Research Commission (USARC), 2003-2014
U.S. Navy Arctic Roadmap
- Online via United States Navy, October 2009
White House National Strategy for the Arctic Region
- Online via White House, May 2013
National Security Presidential Directive 66 (Arctic Region Policy)
- Online via Federation of American Scientists, January 2009
Arctic Climate Impact Assessment: Impacts of a Warming Arctic
- Online via University of Alaska, November 2005
To search for articles, consult one or more of the following databases (under Selected Databases from the Law Library homepage):
- WestlawNext (available to individual subscribers)
- Lexis Advance (available to individual subscribers)
- HeinOnline's Law Journal Library (UW Restricted)
- LegalTrac (UW Restricted)
- Lexis Academic (UW Restricted)
Treaties are agreements between two or more countries. See the Gallagher guide on Treaties & Other International Agreements for more information.
UNEP Regional Seas Conventions and Protocols (No conventions have yet been developed for Arctic)
Electronic Information System for International Law (EISIL) provides primary documents on international law conventions focused on Antarctica and the Arctic here and here
Major laws administered by the National Marine Fisheries Services, Environmental Protection Agency, and other federal agencies
Arctic Research and Policy Act of 1984, 15 U.S.C. 4101 et seq.
Coastal Zone Management Act (CZMA), 16 U.S.C. 1451 et seq.
Magnuson-Stevens Act (MSA), 16 U.S.C. 1801 et seq.
Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act (OCSLA), 43 U.S.C. 1331 et seq.
Outer Continental ShelfLands Act Amendments of 1978 (OSCLAA), 43 U.S.C. 1801
Ports and Waterways Safety Act (PWSA), 33 U.S.C. 1221 et seq.
US Arctic Research Commission (USARC)
- Executive Sub-Cabinet on Climate Change in Alaska
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC)
- United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED)
International Arctic Research Center (IARC), University of Alaska
- Arctic Council
- Canada, Denmark (including Greenland and the Faroe Islands), Finland, Iceland, Norway, Russia, Sweden, and the United States.
Research guides are useful for identifying key print and online sources
US Naval War College guide on Strategic Aspects of Climate Change: Arctic
NATO guide on Arctic Security
EISIL Antarctica & the Arctic
US Arctic Research Commission’s Arctic Science Portal
Association of College & Research Libraries guide on Arctic Research
University of Washington guide on Arctic & Northern Studies
Dartmouth guide on Polar Studies